Skip to main content

INTERNATIONAL POETRY CHALLENGE CHAIN

Poems of Dr BSM Murty

 

Some of my poems were translated into Bangla by the famous poet Prof. Masudul Hoq (Professor at Dinajpur College, Bangladesh) when their originals appeared on FB in an International Poetry Challenge Chain started by him. Under the scheme, on each day for five consecutive days, one poet had to post his poem, requesting a FB poet friend to continue the chain in the same way. I was nominated by my friend & acolyte, poet Sujit Mukherjee to be part of the chain & I posted my first poem on  15 July,’20 . My three poems translated by Prof. Hoq, given below, were posted on 18 & 19 July,’20. The original poems for all 5 days are presented here again for a convenient review. I am grateful both to Prof. Masudul Hoq & Sujit Mukherjee for associating me with this novel poetic venture. The Bangla translations of my poems begin with a short introduction about me by Prof. Masudul Hoq.

 

 










July 19, 2020 : Dedicated to my

Swedish poet friend, Joanna Svensson

 The Vendor Poet




It all begins on my keyboards

The black keys forming letter by letter

A pattern in a moving chain of words

A stream gaining its flow by its metre

Often rushing ahead on my screen

In its own rhythm lilting and crooning

Like the soft wet clay gaining sheen

On a wheelwright’s wheel swirling

The fingers pressing the pliant keys

With languorous siesta in their eyes

The soft sodden clay wheeling

Round and round into words

And often phrases and clauses

Into sentences simple or multiple

Dancing furiously without any pauses

Oblivious of any commas or periods

Swinging in their own rhythm

Creating their own assonance

Often resonating in internal rhymes

Earning sprouting metaphors

Arabesqued into spherical symbols

Often rinsed in sharp-edged sarcasm

Or similes with double-faced oxymorons

Then they hide behind my screen

Invisible to my eyes for days

Till they suddenly reappear

From who knows where they had been

Wrapped in their own mysterious ways

In forms and habiliments they wear

Suddenly flying down from the unknown

To me, as if by some inscrutable magic

They descend on me of their own,

Ready as an artefact – a poem - in my store

To be softly brushed and polished

Dazzling and tantalizing me all the more

As a precious item for sale in my shop

Where I know few buyers come and stop

All my hardware of creativity

Arranged almost in a clutter

Kept on their different stacks

Resplendent behind the glass shutters

With their unseen untied price tags

There lost in a dream they lie

Totally unconcerned and nonchalant

About the buyers passing by

 

বিএস‌এম মূর্তি সমকালীন ভারতীয় কবি। বিশ্বকবিতা ও কবিদের মেলবন্ধনে কবিতা রচনার খেলায় আমাদের আহ্বানে পাঁচ দিনে পাঁচটি কবিতা লেখার দায়িত্ব নিয়েছেন। এটি তার পঞ্চম দিনের শেষ কবিতা। তিনি হিন্দি ও ইংরেজি ভাষায় কবিতা রচনা করেছেন। পাঠকের সুবিধার জন্য বাংলায় রূপান্তর করে দিলাম।

কবিতাওয়ালা

 

মূল: বিএস‌এম মূর্তি

রূপান্তর :মাসুদুল হক

 

সব কিছুর যাত্রা শুরু হয় আমার কিবোর্ড থেকে

কালো অক্ষরের চাবিগুলো চিঠির পর চিঠি সাজায়

শব্দের চলমান শৃঙ্খলে একটি প্যাটার্ন তৈরি করে

অনন্য একটি ধারা গতি লাভ করে কিবোর্ডের মিটারে

নিজস্ব ছন্দের গুঞ্জন আর আঙুল টোকার বিলাপে

আমার কম্পিউটারের পর্দায় প্রায়শই শব্দ এগিয়ে চলে

কুমার যেমন তার চাক ঘুরিয়ে পরম যত্নে

নরম ভেজা মাটিতে চকচকে জেল্লা নিয়ে আসে

আঙুলগুলো দুপুরের ঘুম জড়ানো চোখে

কিবোর্ডের অক্ষরগুলো টিপতে থাকে শিথিল চালে

আর নরম এটেল মাটির তাল-- চাকের ঘূর্ণনে ঘূর্ণনে

যেন বিচিত্র শব্দের প্রতিমা বের করে নিয়ে আসে

এবং প্রায়শই বাক্য এবং বাক্যের বাগধারাগুলো

সহজ ও সাবলীল ভঙ্গিতে নিজেরা নিজের মতো

বিরতিহীন নাচের মুদ্রায় জেগে ওঠে প্রচণ্ড উচ্ছ্বাসে

যে কোনো দাড়ি, কমা, সেমিকোলনের দায়বদ্ধতা

পেরিয়ে মুক্ত ছন্দের তালে তালে অনাবিল আনন্দে

কবিতায় তৈরি করে নিজস্ব কণ্ঠের মৌলিক স্বর

প্রায়শই অভ্যন্তরীণ ছন্দকলার অনুরণনে

কবিতার শরীরে অঙ্কুরোদগম ঘটে বিচিত্র রূপকের

বক্র প্রতীকের গভীরে ব্যলে-নৃত্যের অবসরে

তীব্র তীক্ষ্ণ তমোহর ধারযুক্ত বাক্যের কটাক্ষময়

উপমাগুলো মুছে ফেলা কবিতার দুমুখো চেতনায়

তারপর তারা হারিয়ে যায় আমার কম্পিউটার পর্দায়

কয়েকদিন অদৃশ্য থাকে আমার চোখের কোণে

যতক্ষণ না তারা স্বেচ্ছায় সহসা হাজির হয়

কে জানে তারা কোথায় ছিল জড়িয়ে কোন সুদূরে

তাদের‌ই তৈরি করা নিজেদের রহস্যজনক উপায়ে

তাদের অঙ্গে ব্যবহৃত রূপ ও অলঙ্কার নিয়ে

সহসা নেমে আসে দূর অজানা থেকে

এ যেন আমার কাছে এক অবিশ্বাস্য যাদু

সম্মোহনের বলয়ে আমাকে নিবিড়ভাবে গ্রাস করে,

আমার কাব্যকলার স্টোররুমে একটি শিল্প;

একটি কবিতা হিসাবে প্রস্তুত হয়ে ওঠে

নরমভাবে ব্রাশ আর পালিশে গড়ে তোলা এই শিল্প;

আমার দোকানে বিক্রয়ের জন্য উঠে আসা—

এই মূল্যবান আইটেমটি আমাকে চমকিত করে তোলে

আমি জানি তবু কয়েকজন ক্রেতা চলে আসবেন

আমার সৃজনশীলতার সমস্ত হার্ডওয়্যার

প্রায় একটি গোলমাল দশার মধ্যে সাজানো

বিভিন্ন তাকে তাকে স্থান পাওয়া শিল্পগুলো

ঝকমকিয়ে উঠছে কাঁচ-দরোজার পেছনে

অদেখা অসংযোজিত মূল্য তালিকার গভীরে

ওরা স্বপ্ন হারিয়ে ঘুমিয়ে আছে

সম্পূর্ণ উদ্বেগহীন আর অযৌক্তিকভাবে

পাশ কাটিয়ে চলা ক্রেতাদের স্বভাব দেখে

 

July 18, 2020 : Dedicated to my

poet friend, Carolyn Logan, art historian

from Sarasota, Florida, US

 

1.

कविता एक तितली सी

उड़ती आती और बैठ जाती है

मेरे माथे पर सिहरन जगाती

किसी कोंपल को चूमती

पंख फड़फड़ाती

गाती कोई अनसुना गीत

और उड़ जाती अचानक

 

Like a butterfly –my poem

Comes flying and sits

On my forehead

Titillating and fluttering -

Kissing a bloom and

Singing an inaudible song

When suddenly it flies away

 

2.

मैं एक खंडहर हूं

कब्रगाह के बगल में

मेरे अहाते में

जो एक दरख़्त है

ठूंठ शाखों वाला

उस पर अक्सर

क्यों आकर बैठती है

सोच मे डूबी

एक काली चील?

 

I am a ruin that lies

Beside the graveyard

With a tree in my courtyard

With bare stunted branches

Why does a black eagle

Often come and

Sit on it brooding?

 

বিএসএম মূর্তি সমকালীন ভারতীয় কবি। বিশ্বকবিতা কবিদের মেলবন্ধনে কবিতা রচনার খেলায় আমাদের আহ্বানে পাঁচ দিনে পাঁচটি কবিতা লেখার দায়িত্ব নিয়েছেন। এটি তার চতুর্থ কবিতা। তিনি হিন্দি ইংরেজি ভাষায় কবিতা রচনা করেছেন। পাঠকের সুবিধার জন্য বাংলায় রূপান্তর করে দিলাম।

 

মূল :বিএসএম মূর্তি

রূপান্তর :মাসুদুল হক

 

মন এক অরণ্য:১

 

আমার কবিতা --প্রজাপতির মতো

উড়তে উড়তে এসে বসে

আমার‌ই কপালে

কামনায় কাতর হয়ে

চুম্বন করে পূর্ণ বিকশিত ফুলে

এবং শ্রুতিমধুর গান গেয়ে ওঠে

হঠা যখন উড়তে থাকে

 

মন এক অরণ্য:২

 

আমি এক ধ্বংসস্তূপ

শুয়ে আছি কবরস্থানের পাশে

আমার উঠোনে একটি গাছ

শুকনো ডালপালা নিয়ে দাঁড়িয়ে

একটা কালো ঈগল চিন্তামগ্ন হয়ে

জানি না কেন প্রায়‌ই

বসে থাকে সেই গাছে?

 

 

July 17, 2020 : Dedicated to my

Swedish poet friend, Lidice Megla

 

The Pitcher

 

I am an earthen pitcher

Lying idle in a pitcher-maker’s backyard.

As I look around, I find many pitchers

Lying around me, some of them

Have their necks broken.

Others appear misshapen.

Hardly any are perfect in shape.

I get worried about myself:

Am I all well made?

Free from all defects?

Round and sound in shape?

How can I see myself?

They are all looking at me.

Am I in good shape?

Is nothing wrong with me?

How do I know?

Who can tell me?

Only the pitcher maker perhaps.

 

July 16, 2020 : Dedicated to poet friend,

Mary Lynn Luiz (US)

 

Creation

 

We owe not only the air

We owe everything to God!

We owe our very life to Him

For which He provides us

The air, the water, and all

The world He created

For our life and living!

Because life is a sacred boon!

And He created everything

Not for any Thanksgiving

But because He loves to create

And loves all that He creates.

And that He also breaks

All that He lovingly creates

Only to go on creating

Yes, because He so loves

To go on creating things in

A never-ending way!

 

July 15, 2020 : Dedicated to Prof Thomas Graves

of Lesley University, Cambridge, MA, US

 

O Alpona!

You look like a wheel

Wheels within wheels

An elephant caparisoned

Standing in your centre

And a peacock sitting

On a flowery branch

With its blue- green

Gold and silver painted

Emblems printed on

Its quivering hanging

Tail touching the purple

Baskets on the heads

Of three singing women

All lost in an arabesque

Pattern of triangles

And lamps with plumes

Of yellow and red flames

Standing beneath a tree

With slender branches

Outstretched full of

Fluttering twigs and leaves

O Alpona, you are the

Richest design of art

And ancient Indian culture

The very image of beauty

And traditional modesty!

 All poems © Author

Photos:(L-R downwards) 1. Joanna Svensson 2. Lidice Megla 3.Mary Lynn Luiz  4. Thomas Graves

5. Carolyn Logan

My book of poems, recently published, TWO-WAY MIRROR is available on Amazon.in


Comments

  1. I CONSIDER MY SELF A POET. POETRY IS THE ONLY KIND OF WRITING I DO NOW. I FOUND READING YOUR POETRY VERY DIFFICULT. AS I MAY HAVE MENTIONED BEFORE I DID TRY TO USE SHAKESPEARE'S SONNETS IN MY WRITING BUT I WASN'T SUCCESSFUL AND DIDNT LIKE THE RESULTS. I THINK YOUR THESIS IS AN INTERESTING ONE BUT I ALSO THINK IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT ONE TO PROVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'VE SPENT MORE TIME WITH YOUR POETRY AND IT SEEMS TO BE GROWING ON ME. BY THAT I MEAN THE MORE I READ THE BETTER IT LIKE IT WHICH IS ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

  POETICA : 1   The magic of poetry   I am not a poet. I am an ordinary human being. But even I can’t escape the snare of poetry. Poetry is like air. Everyone breathes it. It is like our life breath. It’s part of our life - every moment of it. It is inseparable from our existence. Even when we don’t realize it’s inseparability from our living, it is in and around each one of us. To that extent everyone who lives is a poet. We have our sensory and super- sensory experiences, waking or asleep. Just as our breathing doesn’t stop even for a moment, all our experiences are subservient to our breathing. We experience because we live and we live because we breathe. Poetry, therefore, is passively and unmanifestedly always with us.   But we can be aware of it, just as we can be aware of our breathing if we concentrate and focus on it. Suddenly we realize its being; we become aware of its regular inhalation and exhalation. We then start hearing the soft pounding of our heart beats.
SHADOW SONNETS IN MEMORY OF KEATS   I am compiling a BOOK OF SONNETS in all its timeless glory and variety right from earliest days in Italy to its present day spread across the globe. Poets have loved it, written it, often in sequences, quarreled with it in their love, flirted with it teasingly, shunned it, played with its form and shape - yet always succumbed to its mystical charm. I, myself, a drop in that vast ocean of lyricism, have tried to dabble with its traditional form, preferring the mould that Shakespeare chose for his 'Dark Lady', and experimented by stealing the opening lines of some of the sweetest of them and creating my own form of 'Shadow Sonnets' - or often 'Echo Sonnets', in which only the idea and some phrases, and not the opening lines are taken. . The sonnet is the most feminine of poetic forms with all the titillating traits of just the right measure of ornamentation, metrical suppleness and alluring harmony - with necessary curves, rise
  POETICA : 7                                Poem of the Week Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening By Robert Frost [1874-1963] Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village, though; He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with snow. My little horse must think it queer To stop without a farmhouse near Between the woods and frozen lake The darkest evening of the year. He gives his harness bells a shake To ask if there is some mistake. The only other sound's the sweep Of easy wind and downy flake. The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep. Theme Poetry and Image –II Robert Frost’s fanous poem is like a milestone in many ways. It points both backwards and forwards. And that is how T.S. Eliot defined tradition and individual talent in literature. No poem or work of art can be totally disconnected with the past literary tradition